Sunday, February 19, 2012

Earl Grey Tea Cookies

 

What's that? I'm obsessed with Earl Grey? That could be. But I was going to a tea party today, and Earl Grey cookies seemed like an appropriate choice. Plus a friend gave me this fabulous loose leaf tea this summer. Look at those pretty purple flowers!

I started with a recipe from my new cookbook (fifty cents at Goodwill!). The recipe was for Vanilla Hearts. 



I don't have any cookie cutters, so I got crafty and made my own by cutting up a ginger ale can. So easy! I was hesitant at first, thinking about losing my 10-cent can deposit, and then I realized I wasn't in Michigan anymore. No can deposits in Spokane.




I added two tablespoons of ground loose-leaf Earl Grey tea.  And while I was adding the vanilla, I figured I'd throw in some lemon extract too. Earl Grey loves citrus. He told me.




They're not the sweetest cookies, so throw some sugar on top, or, if that's not good enough, ice 'em! 




Click here for the original recipe. I only changed 3 small things:
  • added 2 tablespoons loose-leaf tea, finely ground in a food processor 
  • added 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract 
  • topped with icing: combined 1 cup powdered sugar, 3/4 tablespoon soft butter, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1 to 2 tablespoons milk) 
Oh, and my dough was way too crumbly at first, so I added a little extra butter and about a tablespoon of water.

You should probably go have a tea party now.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...