Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lake Coeur d'Alene and a New Bird




When I first got to campus this morning, fog and gray skies were telling me it might not be the prettiest day to finally drive down the road next to Lake Coeur d'Alene.






But then the sun came out.












 





A sign on the side of the road explained that this bridge's center spans 520 feet from the ground and has "700 miles of tension cable tendons holding all of its elements under compression." No, I don't know what that means, but it's won four engineering excellence awards, so it has to be something impressive.  




















Based on the photos in my bird book, I'm pretty sure this is a Western Grebe. If you look really closely, you can see its creepy red eyes. A pretty bird otherwise!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...