Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gorgonzola, Walnut, & Spinach Triangles

Today I made a recipe from Rachel Ray, and then I mixed it up with some new ingredients.

Rachel Ray's Feta and Pistachio Triangles looked like the perfect snack to bring to a housewarming party I was attending, and I already had the phyllo dough and feta. This is only my second time using phyllo, a super thin pastry dough you can find in the freezer aisle. My first time was a failure. I layered way too many sheets together and they hardened into a weird mass that hurt my teeth. This time, I decided to follow some directions!

You can find the recipe for Rachel Ray's Feta & Pistachio Triangles here.


They had a great tang from the feta and the pistachios added some crunch and a nice color.

And below is my experiment version. Same process, different filling.


Gorgonzola, Walnut, and Spinach Triangles


Ingredients
6 sheets phyllo dough
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/8 cup Gorgonzola crumbles  
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup finely diced granny smith apples
1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach 
1/8 cup finely diced onion 
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar 
Honey to brush on top
2-3 tablespoons chopped walnuts for topping




Directions 

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees  *  Makes 18 small triangles
 
1. In a small bowl, combine gorgonzola, walnuts, apples, spinach, onion, and balsamic vinegar, stirring well to distribute the Gorgonzola and eliminate any overpowering clumps (some of us can't handle it in large doses).



 2.  Place three sheets of phyllo dough next to each other and coat each with 1 teaspoon butter. (I did the third sheet last after I realized I had so much leftover filling.)



  3.  Place another sheet of phyllo on top of each buttered sheet. 



  4.  Cut each sheet into six width-wise portions.

  
5.  At one end of each strip, place a teaspoon of the cheese mixture.



6.  Starting at the end with the filling, fold the strips into triangles. If I had any stray pieces at the end, I just cut them off, but I'm sure there is a way to tuck the ends in if you want them extra pretty.



7. Brush with butter and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or tin foil to bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
 

8. Brush with honey and sprinkle with walnuts.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I LOVE hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...