Monday, August 27, 2012

Time's Up!

Today is the last day of my break. Tomorrow it's back to class.

And I don't even know why I bother making to-do lists for breaks like these. I haven't even looked at the one I made last month.

And looking at it now, I realize I didn't really do much on it. But I did accomplish quite a bit of recharging:

I read a really good book: Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace. I got it off the book swap shelf at EWU's library. It was the first novel of Atwood's I've read, and I loved that she used and studied a historical event (a famous murder in Canada) as an occasion for a novel. And the point of view is neat, as she includes real clips from confessions, newspapers, etc. and then switches from third person to first, and incorporates letters from the characters. And there are just so many great lines! Loved, loved, loved it!

I also got in a lot of biking.

But the biggest thing that's been taking up my time is my work with Sundog Lit, an online literary journal my friend started about a month ago. 

I've been helping jazz up the website a bit, and once we upgrade the account, I'll get to go into full-obsession mode and spend all my time working on its design.

I'm also running one of the blog features, a contest that chooses our favorite art submission and then uses it as a prompt for writers. This week we'll be picking our favorite poem, story, or essay and posting it with the first picture we posted as a prompt. Please consider submitting something here, if you're a writer, photographer, or artist! It should be fun!

I've also made a couple of posters. Here's one.


It's been a lot of fun so far. I really missed reading submissions and taking part in the whole editorial process.

So maybe I didn't write five essays, or make those gnome cookies yet, but I did really enjoy myself. Joe's been working really hard on his summer vacation, but he had a month off at the beginning (even if it was kind of ruined by looking for jobs). But last night we went bowling for the first time we've been here. It was nice to bust out the shoes again. 

Okay, time to go enjoy the day. I hope you're doing the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I LOVE hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...